Image Credit:

The surface of the Sun is dynamic, constantly undergoing violent change. Each year it throws off 50 thousand billion metric tons of Hydrogen, accompanied by traces of other elements with their atoms carefully sorted by mass. The lightest element, Hydrogen, accounts for over 90% of all atoms at the solar surface. Together with Helium, the next lightest element, these two light weight element comprise over 99.8% of the solar surface composition. The other 81 elements together make up less than 0.2% of the atoms at the solar surface.

Surface Composition